I am not advocating vegan or following a strict plant based, it isn’t a case of all or nothing. I definitely believe balance is key when it comes to what we eat. There are small changes you can make that will help to improve an enormous amount of immediate and long term benefits.
I mostly follow a plant based diet, but every now and then I find myself enjoying farm fresh grass- fed meat with the rest of my family. There is no food I strictly regard as off limits, I just feel better when I am eating more plant based.
Top tips for eating more plant based
- Minimize or cut out foods containing animal products. Remember to read the labels.
- Try to eat fresh and from the earth as much as you can by minimizing processed and fried foods as much as possible.
- Try to eat wholefood based oils such as avocado and olive oil instead of butters, margarine and processed stuff.
- Make sure you are eating enough dietary fibre. It will help with regular bowel movements and reduce the risk of chronic disease.
- Try to eat foods naturally sweetened by nature, rather than foods created by food scientist’s. Your palate has a wonderful way of adapting!
- Give your body time to digest food properly. I generally advocate eating from about 9 am to 7 pm so that your body has time to digest foods for at least 14 hours.
- Minimize alcohol consumption as much as possible.
- Try and make your own dressings and sauces at home instead of buying the high calorie and often artificial products in the shop.
- Try to eat organic produce as much as possible.
- Don’t focus on what you can’t have, rather focus on the new recipes and flavours you can start exploring.
The most important tip
Have fun! Acknowledge the fact that you are fueling yourself with wholesome, earth given foods. Continuously explore new ingredients and flavors. Don’t ever allow yourself to feel like you are missing out on anything.
Benefits of eating more plant based
Fresh fruit and vegetables are essential sources of vitamins and minerals and high in fiber, they also offer a wide array of antioxidants. Eating clean can also have a beneficial impact on hormonal balance and can help to keep your skin clean and clear. The goal is to ‘eat the rainbow’.
A colorful plate is always going to be MORE nutrient rich than an brown plate.
With the current state we live in due to Coronavirus it can challenging to get the foods your normally would shop for. It can be tricky, but it too shall pass and just means it is now the perfect time to start experimenting with different foods you may not have previously tried.
I hope this insight will help you to expand your thinking when it comes to eating more plants. The idea is to get creative and eat the rainbow! Start with incorporating one plant based meal once a week until you are more comfortable with the idea.
If you can buy organic as much as possible, but remember supporting local is BEST!
Dot you later! X